How to install Active Directory Services
- Be sure you are logged in with local administrator privileges.
- Run DCPromo.exe.
- Check Use advanced mode installation.
- Select Create a new domain in a new forest.
- Enter your fully qualified domain. (Example. Wagner.local).
- Enter your Domain NetBIOS name. (Example: WAGNER).
- Select your desired Forest functional level. (Example: Windows Server 2008 R2).
- Make sure DNS Server is checked.
- For the “This computer has a dynamically assigned IP address“, click Yes since this is a stand-alone development machine.
- For the “A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created…“, click Yes.
- Click Next on the Location for Database, Log Files, and SYSVOL dialog.
- Enter an Administrator password on the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password dialog.
- On the Summary screen, click Next to start installation wizard.
- When the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard screen appears, click Finish.
- Restart your computer.
- Looking at the Roles in Server Manager console you will see the Active Directory Domain Services and DNS Server are now checked and installed.
- Note: You may see some warnings in the Server Manager. These are likely not a problem.