SharePoint Installation User Account
Of course, you can install all software the necessary software (SQL Server, IIS7, MOSS 2007) using a Domain Administrator account. This is usually how the installation of SharePoint is performed.
However, there are environments, for example, production environments with very tight security and separation of duties that prohibit this. In this case you can create a special installation user account.
Creating a Special Installation User Account
To create a special installation user account, do the following:
After creating the specified domain accounts you need to assign permission for the SetupAdmin user account. After installing the SQL Server you should continue with the following steps.
- First, connect to the SQL Server using the Management Studio and create a new login.
- Select the SetupAdmin account and assign the following roles to that account: dbcreator and securityadmin.
- After finishing you should see your account listed next to the others.
At the end you need to put the SetupAdmin account in the administrators group on every SharePoint Application and Web Front-End server.
SharePoint 2007 Installation
You can download a MOSS 2007 installation DVD/ISO including SP1 or SP2 from Microsoft.
- For Windows Server 2008, you must install SharePoint Server 2007 with SP1.
- For Windows Server 2008 R2 you must install SharePoint Server 2007 with SP2.
- Start the SharePoint Server 2007 setup.
- Select “Advanced” installation mode.
- Select “Complete – Install all components. Can add servers to form a SharePoint farm.“
- Click Install Now. The installation process will take a few minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Do not run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard at this time. This will be done later, after backing up the image.
SharePoint 2007 Updates
Visit the Resource Center for SharePoint Products to get the latest updates. I recommend installing the latest cumulative update (CU), or the same CU your production environment is using.
- Updates Resource Center for SharePoint Products and Technologies
Again, I recommend that you do not run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard at this time. This is an excellent time to backup your virtual machine image. This will allow you to quickly start with a fresh machine image, which is always useful.