I was getting this error while trying to open a Word document using Word 2010. These steps also resolve the problem when opening an Excel document.
Error: “Word experienced an error trying to open the file.”
This is corrected a couple different ways. You can either correct a specific file, or you can change your Word (or Excel, etc) trust settings to permanently remove this security feature.
For one specific file:
- Go to the document properties in Windows Explorer (right-mouse click, select Properties).
- Click Unblock.
- Click OK.
- You should now be able to open the Word document.
To permanently change the setting for all files:
- Click File > Options
- Click Trust Center >Trust Center Settings
- Click Protected View
- Uncheck the following boxes:
- Enable Protected View for Files originating from the Internet
- Enable Protected View for Files located in potentially unsafe locations
- Enable Protected View for Outlook attachments